Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year!

Hey Friends,

It's the start of a new year and life is great. I am loving my life in Seattle and the work I'm doing at the UW. I just finished my first semester and did pretty well. I studied early dance history, dance in higher education, dance composition and danced religions. It was a fascinating combination of courses and at the end of the semester I created a solo that synthesized the whole semester of learning into one artistic expression. I'll try to get that solo on here so you can see it soon.

At the moment, I am nearing the end of my holiday break. I have been home in Maine for a couple of weeks and really working hard at relaxing. I slept 16 hours over New Years Eve. I'm really getting good at it. I fly back to Seattle on Saturday and start the new semester on Monday.

This semester I will be teaching Ballet! I've never really taught ballet, but I'm actually looking forward to it. Of course, I will have to do some original spin on it but it will be an adventure for all 36 students and myself.

I will also be taking a class called Myth, Ritual and Media, which sounds interesting. Dance Administration (which sounds kinda boring) and Teaching Methods (which sounds, again, kinda fun). And I'll be creating a dance with some digital arts undergrads and teaching another Dance 101, which I've taught 3 times now. So, I will be plenty busy. I am also really committed to the improv scene in Seattle which has become my spiritual connection to a wonderful community of artists.

My time home has been wonderful. I've really rested! And I've spent time with family and friends and Don and Randy. Every departure is difficult, but leaving this time seems really long. I won't be back until May. Randy is growing so much so fast. It's hard to miss these precious years away from him.

I hope you all had some great holiday time. Looking forward to seeing you in the new year!

Love, love, love,

Louis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home